The New Jersey Bar Exam takes place over over 2-days and covers 8 topics. With the New Jersey Bar Exam, many students take it in conjunction with the New York Bar. New Jersey is also contemplating adopting the Uniform Bar Exam.
The New Jersey Bar Exam is made up of the following exam segments:
- 200 multiple choice questions, taking place the Wednesday of the exam. Click here for a complete study guide.
- 7 essay questions
Recent Bar Pass Rates and Content Trends
On average over 4,455 people take the New Jersey bar exam each year with a 66% average pass rate. The majority of people take the Bar exam in July, having just graduated from law school. Those that do not pass the July bar, will often retake in February.
The following charts show pass rates by year, and the number of students taking in both February and July.
February Bar Exam Breakdown:
On average, the February bar has a lower number of students taking (as it is made up of primarily of people who graduated during December, or people who are retaking the bar.
July Bar Exam Breakdown
On average, the state has seen a lower number of applicants each year taking and passing the New Jersey Bar. To see a breakdown of the most recent results check out the post here.
Topics Covered by the New Jersey Bar Exam
The New Jersey Bar Exam currently covers 10 topics.
1. Federal Civil Procedure; 2. New Jersey Civil Procedure; 3. Constitutional Law 5. Contracts 6. Criminal Law and Procedure 7. Evidence 8. Real Property; 8. Torts
How have Schools performed on the New Jersey bar?
Like most states, New Jersey does not provide a school breakdown. It is only when the American Bar Association publishes the annual required disclosures by ABA accredited schools that people can see how schools have performed on the bar.
To see how schools have performed in New Jersey, click here: http://www.barexamstats.com/tools-to-analyze-law-schools/aba-bar-pass-rate-tool/
Additional Resources if studying for the New Jersey bar Exam
- Applicants & Forms to the New Jersey Bar: https://www.njbarexams.org/information-and-applications
- New Jersey Bar Exam Guide: https://www.njbarexams.org/appinfo.action?id=1
- Questions & Sample Answers: https://www.njbarexams.org/bar-exam-questions-and-sample-answers
- BarExamStats Amazon Bookstore: The Bookstore